NANDA P.B.A. KUMAR, J.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Nanda Kumar is a very pragmatic, business-savvy and detail-oriented lawyer with a particular focus on intellectual property (IP) and life sciences practice. As a patent and life sciences lawyer, Nanda draws on his legal and scientific background to strategically navigate the dynamic area at the intersection of law and science. He is well versed in a wide variety of matters in the pharmaceutical, biotech, and chemical industries. Nanda has over 20 years of experience representing domestic and foreign companies and R&D / academic institutions at all stages of the IP and life sciences business lifecycle. Through this broad experience he has gained a unique ability to effectively integrate clients’ interests and a business perspective into
his law practice.
• New Jersey
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
2000 J.D., Temple University School of Law
1989 Ph.D., University of Delhi, India.
• All State Courts - Pennsylvania
• All State Courts - New Jersey
• U.S. District Court - Eastern District of
• U.S. District Court - District of New
Patent Prosecution and analysis:
Strategic assistance for building IP assets and managing complex patent portfolios including the preparation, filing and prosecution of patent applications related to small molecule, formulations, nucleic acids, gene therapy, vaccines, protein-protein interactions, nanoparticle technology, immunotherapy and diagnostic agents.
Provide patent analysis and opinions related to inventorship, patentability, IP due diligence, infringement and validity, and freedom-to-operate reviews. Assist clients with IP and regulatory issues in the context of Orange Book listing and Hatch-Waxman Amendments to the Federal Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act.
Assist in patent infringement litigation related to pharmaceutical, chemical and biotechnology industries.
IP and Life Sciences Transactions:
Assist clients in structuring and negotiating confidentiality agreements, license agreements, consulting and non-compete agreements, product development and commercialization agreements, supply agreements and asset purchase agreements.
Prior to entering the field of law, Dr. Kumar held Senior Scientist research positions in the U.S. industry and was a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at The Center for Agricultural Molecular Biology, Rutgers University; The Biotechnology Center of Indian Agricultural Research Institute; and The Tata Energy Research Institute. His scientific background focused primarily on biology, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology and molecular biology.
2015 Law Offices of Nanda P.B.A Kumar, LLC, Princeton, New Jersey
1999 Reed Smith LLP, Philadelphia (Partner from January 2007 – August 2015)
1997 Dechert LLP, Princeton, New Jersey (Law Clerk)
1996 NovaFlora, Inc., Philadelphia - Senior Scientist
1995 Phytotech, Inc., New Jersey - Research Scientist
1992 Center for Agricultural Molecular Biology, Rutgers University, New Jersey - Post-Doctoral Fellowship
1990 Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, India - Post-Doctoral Fellowship
1989 Biotechnology Center of Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi, India -Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- “USFDA Compliance Issues: Backup Strategy” in Keynote Session: Demystifying Compliance, Pharma Legal & Compliance Summit 2015, Mumbai, India, October 16, 2015
- Recipient of "Leadership Excellence in the Law Award 2014" conferred by the Pennsylvania Diversity Council. The award recognizes attorneys in the greater Philadelphia region who have demonstrated outstanding leadership, resolve, and achievements for the benefit of their clients and communities
- “Drug Products Based on Small Molecules and Biologics – Exclusivity Incentives,” Pharma Legal & Compliance Summit 2013, Mumbai, India, September 27, 2013
- "Drug Development Collaboration Agreements – Intellectual Property Considerations," BioAsia 2008, Hyderabad, India, Feb. 7-9, 2008
- "Potential IP-Related Obstacles As Adult Stem Cell Therapies Progress Toward The Market," speaker and panel discussion moderator, Phacilitate Cell & Gene Therapy Forum 2007, Baltimore, Jan. 22-24, 2007
- "Key IP Issues related to Open Innovation Collaboration," Speaker BioJapan 2007, Yokohama, Sept. 19-21, 2007
- "Intellectual Property Rights and Due Diligence," BioAsia 2005, Hyderabad, India, Feb. 10-12, 2005
- Contributing Author, Black’s Law Dictionary, Abridged Eighth Edition, 2005
- "Patents and Patenting Biotech Inventions in the U.S.," International Conference on Innovation & Intellectual Property Rights Strategy, Hyderabad, India, Sept. 12-13, 2002